Thursday, February 2, 2012

Questioning ICL Surgery

So, now we’re at today.  The day before my first pre-surgery appointment.  I told my husband last night that I was having second thoughts again.  $7k, risk of infection or worse, etc.  He told me the benefits seem to still outweigh that.  This morning, I spent an additional couple hours looking up reviews.  I’ve found that the most helpful information has come from blogs (which is the reason I though I should write this).  I started getting worried about things I haven’t even thought of or knew could possibly happen – halos, blurriness, needing glasses after just a couple years, etc. 



I quickly called the doctor’s office and was told that the assistant surgeon would call me back to answer any questions.  She called me back within a couple hours (giving me enough time to write down all my questions). 



I thought I’d share some of my main questions and her answers (in case it helps someone else).  

(Let me quickly state that these are my interpretations of her answers and I am in no way trying to give doctor's answers or advice.)
  • Halos:  (I just learned recently that not everyone sees these around lights at night...well I always have.)  Apparently pretty uncommon as a side effect if you don't have an Astigmatism.  
  • Blurriness: Not completely unusual, but usually just because of the gel and drops they put in your eyes and goes away within a few hours.
  • Use of an IV of Drug like Valium:    (I'll preface by saying that I don't like to take any medicine that's not absolutely necessary and I hate Valium because it gave me the worst headache of my life when I got my wisdom teeth out.)  She said they'll put an small IV in place in case complications arise, but don't use it unless necessary - blood pressure drops etc. and they don't suggest anything like Valium.
  • Restrictions After Surgery:  (I had read that you are advised not to lift weights, wash your face, wash your hair, etc.)  She said that they suggest no heavy exercise for about 7-10 days.  Light weights are fine as long as you are straining.  They recommend not washing your face or hair for at least the first day.  After that, just no water directly to the eyes for a few days.
  • Vision Loss:  (I had heard of some people needing glasses within a few years after surgery.)  She said that certainly shouldn't happen.  If any loss of vision occurs, it would be years later usually about 15-20yrs.)
  • Follow Up Appointments:  (I travel a lot and wanted to make sure that I knew what to expect with follow up.)  She said to expect to have a follow up appt 1 day after surgery, then about 7-10 days later, then 1 month later.)
  • Both Eyes at the Same Time:  She said that they typically do surgery on both eyes on the same day.
  • Eye Drops:  (I had heard some people saying they were told to use eye drops for months after surgery.)  She said that they will prescribe prescription eye drops that should be used for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery.
She really stressed that many of the side effects from ICL that I brought up are very uncommon and that Doctor Schneider is the renown for his ICL surgery experience.  (I know, I know...so many doctors are 'renown' for something.)
I'll have to get better and further details on all of this during my pre-surgery appointment tomorrow. 
More to come...  

3 comments:

  1. How has your icl experience been since ? Do you have Cloudiness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I'm just seeing this. I've had no problems with Cloudiness, no problems what so ever. I couldn't be happier with the results - it's wonderful not to have to worry about glasses and contacts anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this information. I have shared this link with other who keep posting such information to provide the best Implantable Collamer lens surgery london at very affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete